
Today, two hundred years ago, the wife of a doctor /financier gave birth to her 5 child ( of six in total). Little did she know, this wee baby would write a book fifty years later which would cause great controversy with some very respected minds of the day, and with the general population.
Crazy eh? This guy..who was actually studying to be a minister when he decided to go become a ships naturalist instead..noticed some finches on an island were slightly different from some finches on the mainland and thought, "hmmm I bet the mainland finches colonized the island and then they adapted to the environment and better beaks were developed for survival on the island!" And this thought was met with.. Horror! Noooo! God made each species as it is! Period.
Why do we have to choose..Darwin or God?..This doesn't make sense to me. To me they blend fairly well..
Did we originate from apes?...Probably...Did God make apes?...Probably...
Perhaps the story of Adam and Eve could be illustrated as humans looking more ape like? Who knows..?
Sorry if I offended anyone today. I was just thinking about this guy when he was a kid and not having any inkling as to what his life held for him..then because he had a thought different from the "norm", his life changed. And then I was trying to decide if I would want my child to be in his situation...I would support the free thinking but be wary of the controversy.
And in fact, -as a side note- , he was not the first to come up with this whole theory -but he's usually given the credit. Probably because of the Origin of the Species. ..
hmmmm...
It seems we are lacking great scientists and thinkers these days. I fear too many of them are funded by industries which may influence their work.
Anyway..what do you think?
7 comments:
That's a nice thoughtful blog Tracey. I agree, we don't have to choose between Darwin and God.
What an inspiring post! My comment will be too long for here so see my blog instead.
I agree that we can believe in both. Yes God did the creating but we see it when nature (which God made) changes to suit the situation and evolve to survive and become stonger. What is the big issue about choosing one over the other. I think it is the extremes that hold so strongly to one or the other.
Maybe the squirrel who struggles to reach our bird feeder needs some evolving like growing a beak and some small wings. It seems he won't give up until it happens.
I think you should read that book that was published last year (or before) about Darwin on his voyage-he really was shunned afterwards. And the one about Oppenheimer (the Great Prometheus) that's out at the moment. I think scientists come up with stuff then the government use it as they want.
Unfortunately, I believe Tracey is right, today's society has absorbed a lot of today's free thinking scientists into the realm of big bucks for "our" big break-throughs.
But, as for our girls, they will have my support on career decisions, maybe not always on what they want to wear or who the are associated with, but I will support career decisions 100%.
C
It seems to me Evolution is a scientific theory about the mechanism by which life exists, whereas theism is about the why of our existence. If we used Darwinism to dictate our behaviour it would endorse a less human and a more animal type of behaviour.
From a speciest
John
Post a Comment