Saturday, March 28, 2009

If you spend much time around our household you would get the impression that my husband and I operate with a pre-programmed, limited vocabulary that recycles itself, over and over again, at least when it comes to the hours spent with our children.

Don’t touch things that don’t belong to you.
Get that out of your mouth.
Eat over your plate.
Pick that up.
Get your finger out of there.
Get your hands off the walls.
Use your napkin not your shirt.
Use a tissue not your sleeve.
What's on your finger?
Use the hand towel not your pants.
Did you wipe?
Did you wash your hands?
Knock it off.
Go to time out.
Go to bed.

I didn’t make the mess, I’m not cleaning it up.
If you cheat, I'm not going to play anymore.
Is that where that goes?
You’re hungry?Hi hungry, nice to meet you, I’m Daddy.
You're thirsty?I'm Friday. Come over Saturday and we'll have a Sundae!
Not until you finish your dinner.
Not until your room’s clean.

If I told you that you could have candy for breakfast, I bet you’d be able to remember that.
Be nice to your sister.
Go apologize to your father.
Go say you’re sorry to your mother.
Don’t even think about it.
Use your inside voice.
Use a nice vioice.
If you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything.
Do you want to rephrase that?
I can’t understand you when you’re whining.
How do you ask for something?
What did I say?
What did you say?
I said no.
How many times do I have to tell you?
I'm only going to tell you once.
I would advise you to remember who you are speaking to.
I will not tolerate lying.
No one likes a tattler.
We don’ t whisper in front of people.
Please just stop talking.

Catch us at our respective jobs or after the kids go to bed and really, we can be interesting people who can carry on real conversation and not just grunt commands and recriminations. Just make sure you don’t sniffle or we’ll tell you to go blow your nose first.Of course there is the other phrase, the one that all the others stem from, the one we hope they always know, the one they ultimately remember long after they’ve mastered wiping and table manners.... I love you.

2 comments:

Alta said...

Have you been listening in at our house? Sounds like what Tom and I say over and over. Then you can add some more:
what time will you be home?
who are you going with? Are the parents going to be there?
Whose turn is it to walk the dog?
The deal was if we got the dog you would look after him.

bethanne said...

Best. Post. Ever. Saving it. Framing it. Send it to Babycentre.ca, or something!