On the 21st, a lunar eclipse will fall on the winter solstice for the first time in centuries and it will happen very( like 4 am) early Tuesday morning. I’m thinking of setting my alarm if it’s going to be a clear night.
The December moon is called The Full Cold Moon, the Full Long Nights Moon, or my favorite: the Moon before Yule. All three remind me of that Sarah Maclouglin song Winters night for some reason... The moon is above the horizon for a long time and, according to the Farmers’ Almanac, it has a high trajectory across the sky because it’s opposite a low sun. A total lunar eclipse during winter in the northern hemisphere is somewhat common, according to NASA. But a lunar eclipse falling directly on the date of the winter solstice is extremely rare.
With the full moon high in the winter sky, the lunar eclipse will be visible from four continents, with the best views from North America and Central America if weather permits, scientists say.
This year's event will take 3 hours and 38 minutes. The eclipse begins on Tuesday at around 3:41 a.m. AST, when the Earth's dark-red shadow will turn up on the edge of the moon, according to NASA. It will take about an hour for the shadow to cover the entire moon. Totality begins at 4:17 a.m. and lasts for 72 minutes. (courtesy AOL News/Lisa Holewa contributor).
Just in case you were wondering....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
ooh...cool. it is now tuesday morning and I am going to look out the window.
we have seen it! Perfect! And huge! amazing, thanks for letting us know!
Yay! I'm glad you got to see it!
I didn't..:(
Way too windy and rainy here..I woke up at four ..heard the wind howling and rain pouring, rolled over and went back to sleep!I think I butchered Sarah's last name..oops!
Sharon, how did you see it in Aberdeen??? We tried here but similar to Tracey, we heard the weather and didn't bother to even look!
Great batch of info though, thanks!
And don't worry about butchering her name, as it's not really her song... it's a Gordon Lightfoot one that she covered.
Skype soon I hope
Post a Comment