and he replied ..
"What about Easter morning ? Our trip to Pictou County to do Easter with the fam? Our stay in the hotel where Rose got to go swimming?"
I replied, feeling very much like the high school student who just doesn't want to do homework..., " ummm yeah, but there's nothin' really to say.."
So after a day or so of deliberating and procrastinating...here I am dutifully reporting...
But My main reason for this post is to take a poll..So PLEASE if you read this blog and even if you've NEVER commented before--(you know who you are)....let me know your opinion. I think my mind is made up but I'd like to hear more thoughts on the subject.
I'd like to take my Masters in Ed. Right now there are 3 maybe 5 other people wanting to as well. We have been looking into going to the Mount. We would take the classes together, travel together and spend Saturdays and some week nights doing this. This option would be great cause I'd have other people to work with and I'd be at the school and could focus on school while I'm there.
....but I'd spend a lot of time away at school or traveling to Halifax...
Verses my other option....
UCCB (Cape Breton U) offers the same masters.... but its all online. Which means I do it by myself, but mostly on my own time, except for some time when I need to be online in a forum discussing stuff. This option would be great 'cause I'd be able to be at home with the family..and its four hundred dollars cheaper per course..before text books etc.
..but....I'd have to figure it out myself and have no one else to check in with...
I do get money back..not sure how much ..no matter which one I go with..but you have to finish and pass the course before you get $$ back. Both will take 2.5 years to complete but I have up to 5 years to complete it................... before I get a higher teachers licence and salary. :)
So what are your thoughts?
11 comments:
First off, glad they like the books and tapes.
Secondly, Loved the matching bathing suit and boots !
Thirdly, I would go with the first option of doing it with other people. You can help each other out
if you need feedback and can vent out issues with someone who knows what you are talking about.
Yes, there would be travel time but you have to weigh the yays and nays about traveling with people or staying home and doing it alone. Good Luck with your decisions.
Still thinking....
Whew. Umm. Will you still be working part time? You might also be able to share textbooks, reducing costs. I did a degree with 2 small kids and could never get any work done at home. I had to have childcare for them, so I think the distance learning one wouldn't be as straightforward as you think. I'd go for the first option, for the same reasons as Alta.
Well, actually, I'd go for a cup of coffee somewhere and forget the whole self-and-career-improvement idea, but that's because I am a lazy so and so.
I know 2 people who did a masters online very successfully, and one of them was a teacher with 2 small kids and a baby. And Maria did it correspondance (which is the old fashioned version) when her kids were tiny.The online forums are the other people you need, they'll help you out and motivate you. The less traveling appeals to me in many ways. The point about being at home is a bit controversial, though, because you'll need to have the time and space to get the work done, so the kids need to leave you alone, but at the same time, if you can take 5 minutes to do a little something with them (put a bandaid, whatever's needed) then you can get straight back to work. It's good for everyone. I know you can do it. Especially since I won't be there to drag you down into my pit of procrastination. And, Sharon lived in a small apartment with those 2 kids when she did her degree, you can go into the basement office and close the door.
hmmmmmm ....I am leaning towards the online ...for the sole reason of...Its cheaper. hmmmmmmm
Make sure you have a place of your own to work and dedicated time to work. Distracions are bound to creep up or call for mom :) good luck , I am behind you pushing you along!
Thanks!
ummm so if I appear at your door with kids you will take them??
just kidding...
kind of...
:)
If I'm here, bring them along :) It's not like the house isn't kid proof !
I just printed off the application form for the online course.
Whohoo, decision made! big changes coming
I like the idea of the online course as well. It is much more flexible and it needs to be when you have kids!
I did a teaching English as a second language course online and I thought it worked well. Mind you, I didn't have any children at the time to distract me, and it wasn't as long as the course you're going to do. But it did work out fine. Not that I have used it for anything really... But I have it.
Good luch with the decision making, though it sounds like you have already made your decision. Godd luck anyhow.
Post a Comment