So we were walking along the beach with mom and dad during a visit on Wednesday when we came across some fellow cottagers. The woman was telling mom that they just married off their youngest son three weeks ago. The lady commented that she is so glad now she doesn't have to worry any more. Mom replied , Yes but you still worry about them.. you never stop. The lady then said ..Yes but now he has a wife to take care of him. I thought hmmmm, poor wife.
Then I thought...If I had a boy I would definitely raise him to take care of himself... and help out equally if he did get married...
Then I thought..but that's how I plan on raising my girls...hmmm
Is there a difference???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh Jeez. Yes, if you are worried that your son can't look after himself, you should wonder why you didn't bother teaching him how to. Poor wife is right.
Isn't it the wife's job to teach the husband?
I am definatly teaching my boys to look after thhemselves and work with others too. mitchell knows laundry and alex loves to do breakfast on the weekends. we pawn them off for someone else?
Yeah but why would I consiously say to myself ..I would raise my boys to be look after themselves but automatically raise my girls that way ?.. why do we automatically raise girls one way but make a point to raise boys the same way?? does what Im saying make sense? Im not sure Im getting my question right....hmm...
I think I would teach girls the same thing. I know i treat the kids i look after within the same paramiters . I don't treat them diferently 'cause of boy or girl. I think I am raising Mitchell and Alex as individuals that need to go out on their own someday. Of course I will never stop worrying about them no matter what I teach them .
Maybe you would need to think differently about raising your boys so that they are super special and good husbands. Rather than boys needing to be taken care of..we wives have better things to do.
I think the answer is just annoyingly in society in general. It's been so long that mothers raised their sons to be dependent on women that we now have to consciously counter-act that. But I think it was the same for girls until a generation or 2 ago, too. I think a lot of mothers had to be conscious and vigilant about raising their girls to want careers and be able to take financial care of themselves. Maybe some mothers still are conscious of it. Thanks for the philosophical post!!
Post a Comment